FOUR dismembered bodies have been found at a popular Spring Break destination in Mexico on Thursday.
According to local outlet Noticaribe, the horrific site was discovered in Villas del Sol, Playa del Carmen – an area where Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador’s long-awaited Mayan Train is expected to pass.
Sanitation workers made the gruesome discovery while collecting trash in the area, located about four-and-a-half miles from the beach and hotel zone.
Preliminary reports indicate the four victims were all adult males.
Leaked crime scene photos that local news outlet Quinto Poder picked up showed two of the men lying next to each other on the road.
The other two victims were abandoned near a pile of garbage left strewn across the edge of a sidewalk lined with trees.
The Quintana Roo State Office of the Attorney General said that none of the four victims had gunshot wounds.
The victims’ names, ages, and nationalities were not immediately released.
The harrowing discovery comes as thousands of Spring Breakers flocked to popular beach resorts in the Quintana Roo area.
On Tuesday afternoon, an American tourist drowned while celebrating Spring Break in Cancun.
The young woman was pulled from the sea’s strong currents and taken to a hospital where she was pronounced dead, as reported by Riviera Maya News.
She was reportedly at the beach in the Cancun Hotel Zone with her boyfriend when she started struggling in the water.
Hotel staff pulled her from the water and requested an ambulance after the boyfriend ran for help.
BRITISH ESTATE AGENT GUNNED DOWN
Last week, a British estate agent was gunned down in an execution-style killing in Playa del Carmen.
Chris Cleave, 54, was driving his red Audi through the resort of Playa del Carmen on March 12 when he was ambushed by two men who opened fire on a motorbike.
The property mogul was killed instantly after a bullet hit him in the head, while his teen daughter – who was with him at the time – was taken to hospital with minor injuries.
Police sources reportedly said the girl was hit in the front passenger seat.
Mr. Cleave’s brother, Nick, 56, told the MailOnline: “I’ve spoken to his daughter – she is out of hospital now.
“We will give all the care she will need after seeing her father gunned down.”
Nick, who runs a watersports company in Falmouth, Cornwall, said his brother “loved traveling” and decided to settle in Mexico.
He said: “His property business was very successful and he was highly thought-of and respected.
“We were very close, we were in touch by phone or social media every week. I spoke to him just a few days before this happened, everything was fine. He was very happy.
“He was not married but had his daughter from a relationship while in Mexico.”
It is understood there is no suggestion Mr. Cleave was involved in drugs, but local reports said a man thought to be him was threatened last year.
It’s believed Mr. Cleave and two others were left a chilling warning in a so-called narcomanta – a message left by a local drug cartel on a cloth banner.
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for The US Sun team?