WARNING: Video contains disturbing content not suitable for all viewers. Viewer discretion is advised.
Investigators say a malfunctioning electric space heater started the fire in a 19-story building in the Bronx, New York on Sunday morning.
New York City Mayor Eric Adams on Monday called the fire an “unspeakable tragedy.”
The fire killed 17 people, two fewer than originally thought.
The fire is the city’s deadliest in three decades.
Large, new apartment buildings in the city are required to have sprinkler systems and interior doors that swing shut automatically to contain smoke and deprive fires of oxygen, but those rules don’t apply to thousands of the city’s older buildings.
The building is equipped with smoke alarms, but several residents said they initially ignored them because alarms were so common in the 120-unit building.
The fire was New York City’s deadliest since 1990, when 87 people died in an arson at the Happy Land social club, also in the Bronx.
For more info, please go to
Subscribe to Global News Channel HERE:
Like Global News on Facebook HERE:
Follow Global News on Twitter HERE:
Follow Global News on Instagram HERE:
#GlobalNews #NYCApartmentFire #NewYorkApartmentFire